The 5th Annual Katie Geneva Cannon Lecture
and Interfaith Conference “A Woman’s Voice”
Sunday, September 12 – Monday, September 13, 2010
This year, the Katie Geneva Cannon Lecture occurs in the context of the long-awaited Interfaith Conference “A Woman’s Voice”.
“A Woman’s Voice” is . . .
A conference to explore the contributions of women in the context of Judaism, Christianity and Islam. We will create holy space and time for women involved in teaching and leadership in religious communities of diverse faith traditions and denominations. We will learn about each other, discuss, compare and contrast, describe challenges and achievements. Above all we will create energy around interfaith learning and worship, reaching across boundaries to share knowledge, spirit and experience.
Register Online On site registration only
Schedule of Events
- Sunday, September 12
- 12:00 p.m. — Lunch
- 2:00 p.m. — Opening Ritual
- “Dancing on Common Ground”
Johanna Bos: A Woman’s Voice
- 3:30 p.m. — First Plenary
- Suendam Birinci
“Places of Authority for Women in the Muslim context – Shared Perspectives”
- 5:30 p.m. — Reception and Dinner
- 7:30 p.m. — 5th Annual Katie Geneva Cannon Lecture
- Dr. Gay Byron
“Teaching Empires, Interpreting Texts, Redefining Authority”
- 9:00 p.m. — Booksigning
All events are in Gardencourt on the Louisville Seminary Campus
- Monday, September 13
- 7:30 a.m. — Breakfast in Winn Center
- 8:45 a.m. — Ritual:
- “Reaching Across the Boundaries – Accepting and Respecting Differences”
- 9:15 a.m. — Plenary:
- Dr. Nancy Fuchs-Kreimer
“Places of Authority for Women in the Jewish Context”
- 10:30 a.m. — Workshops (Session 1)
- Dr. Byron: “The Authority of Texts and Traditions”
Dr. Kreimer: “Women as Teachers and Interpreters of Sacred Text”
Dr. Birinci: “Religious Context as Seedbed for Social Action”
Dr. Bos: Emancipatory Practices in Teaching
- 12:15 — Lunch and Panel Discussion with Presenters
- 3:30 — Workshops (Session 2 — Reprise)
- 5:15 — Closing Ritual
- “Sharing a Taste of Good Things”
All events in Laws Lodge unless otherwise indicated
The Katie Geneva Cannon Lecture is free and open to the public.
Registration is required for attendance at other conference events.
All events Sunday and Monday: $75.00
Sunday events only: $50.00
Monday events only: $50.00
Please contact the Women’s Center at (502) 894-2285 or womenscenter @ lpts.edu with any additional questions about the conference.